This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive commissions if you purchase through links provided (at No extra cost to you). Please read our policy.
What is Easy Squash Casserole?
Easy Squash Casserole is a simple side dish that pairs well with almost every meal. Zucchini and yellow summer squash slices combine with a crunchy breadcrumb coating to create a satisfying side dish.
With an abundance of zukes in the produce aisles and farmers markets this time of year, you’ll want to make this delectable squash or zucchini casserole repeatedly.
It’s incredibly easy to cook, and it’s an excellent way to get both children and adults to eat their vegetables!
DO NOT READ THIS ELSE >> Chocolate Zucchini Cake And Chocolate Zucchini Bread: 2021 Ultimate Guide
What Ingredients Are in an Easy Squash Casserole?
The majority of squash casseroles that I’ve seen include eggs, bread crumbs, and a variety of other ingredients. Since I adore fresh zucchini and squash from my garden, I wanted to make a casserole that focused entirely on the squash.
This straightforward recipe is entirely focused on the squash.
A classic Southern Squash Casserole is the ideal way to enjoy the summer garden’s bounty! Squash Casserole is one of those recipes that you’ll find at almost every family gathering, reunion, or special event.
Traditional Southern squash casseroles often have mayonnaise or sour cream to add creaminess to the squash. Yellow Squash Casserole is a rich, cheesy casserole topped with a buttery, crispy Ritz cracker crust.
Yellow Squash Casserole with a generous amount of cheddar cheese and a buttery cracker crumb topping is one of my favourite summer casseroles.
DO NOT READ THIS ELSE >> American Dog Tick : The 2021 Ultimate Guide
This refreshing summer side dish is made with the following ingredients:
- Zucchini and/or yellow squash, onion, parmesan, Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper in a casserole.
- Butter, seasoned bread crumbs, and cheddar cheese are used as a topping.
- Elective Red or green bell peppers, various cheeses, garlic, and tomatoes.
You can also add additional ingredients or substitute different cheeses, depending on your choice or what you have on hand.
Soft or Tender-Crisp
The texture of the Zucchini Squash Casserole can be adjusted to your taste. For a softer casserole, slice the zucchini thinner and sautee it a little longer in the frying pan until tender-crisp but a little on the softer side.
Maintain a 1/4-inch thickness on the zucchini for tender-crisp squash. Take care not to overcook it.
How Do You Make Squash Casserole?
- Squash should be cut into ¼ inch slices, and the onion should be thinly sliced.
- Squash with crispier skin should be cut thicker; squash with softer skin should be cut thinner.
- Sauté squash in olive oil until slightly softened to prevent it from being watery.
- In a casserole dish, arrange the squash and onions upright (on an edge).
- Prepare the topping (as directed in the recipe below) and scatter it over the top.
- Bake and relish.
Since buttered bread crumbs cook easily, monitor your casserole closely. If the crumbs seem to be on the verge of burning before the remainder of the casserole is done cooking, tent them loosely with foil.
This will keep them crispy but will also represent the majority of the heat away from the end.
Is It Reheatable?
While zucchini squash casserole is best served hot from the oven, it can be reheated.
Refrigerate leftover squash casserole tightly wrapped for up to four days. While the breadcrumbs will be less crisp, the squash will still taste wonderful!
To reheat, bake until the mixture is sweet (or you can reheat in the microwave). Then, turn on the broiler element and place the heated casserole directly underneath the broiler for a few minutes of additional cooking to re-crisp the bread crumbs.
Better still, make a fresh batch of crumbs and sprinkle them on top of the leftovers.
Suggestions for Serving
Zucchini squash casserole complements almost every meaty main dish. Serve it alongside roasted or grilled chicken, ribs, or hamburgers. Additionally, it pairs well with Salisbury steaks or pork chops in mushroom gravy.
Interested In These Recipes?
- Coffee vs Black Tea Caffeine: The 2021 Ultimate Guide
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake And Chocolate Zucchini Bread: 2021 Ultimate Guide
- How Long To Cook Bacon In The Oven For? The 2021 Ultimate Guide
Easy Squash Casserole
- Convection Oven
- Conventional Oven
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 pounds squash yellow squash and zucchini
- salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Squash/zucchini should be cut into 14-inch slices.
- Cook onion until tender in butter and oil. Combine the squash, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender crisp.
- In a greased 2-quart casserole dish, combine the squash and onions.
- In a small dish, combine breadcrumbs, cheeses, and melted butter. Sprinkle on top of squash.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- If crumbs begin to brown excessively, tent loosely with foil.
IN VIDEO: Best Squash Casserole Recipe with Yellow Squash by Chef Buck
Questions and Answers
How long can you refrigerate easy squash casserole?
Cooked winter squash can keep for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator if properly stored.
How come my squash casserole is so watery?
You know what I’m talking about if you’ve ever taken a bite of mushy squash in a small, watery casserole. You do not want to brown the squash; simply cook it until tender and any remaining liquid has evaporated.
Then, to ensure the maximum amount of water is removed, transfer the cooked squash to a colander and allow it to drain for five minutes.
Is it possible to rewarm squash casserole?
The oven temperature and time required to reheat will differ according to the size of the casserole dish and the density of its contents, but a safe bet is to reheat for 20-30 minutes, or until fully heated, at a moderate temperature (325°F-350°F).
Is it possible to chill squash casserole?
Can Squash Casserole be Prepared in Advance and Freeze? Without a doubt! This casserole can be prepared in advance and frozen or refrigerated until ready to bake. Simply assemble the casserole and chill or freeze until ready to bake.
- Easy Squash Casserole The Original Owner of this Recipe is Holly Nilsson. Holly is a wine and cheese lover, recipe creator, shopping enthusiast and self appointed foodie. Her greatest passion is creating in the kitchen and making deliciously comforting recipes for the everyday home cook!
- Follow Holly Nillson on PINTEREST You can also get her award winning recipes by following and subscribing via the links we provided.
- PHOTO CREDIT USE FOR RECIPE